Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ecclesia=Church?

After my last post it was suggested that I add some scriptures and other information so that people know that I'm not just saying things randomly, that I do have some scriptural and other evidence to support what I say. Some of my ideas are just that, my ideas. But they are based on my understanding of words and scriptures. So, here we go.

First, the definition of the word Church from the Websters English dictionary.
1. A building for public Christian worship.
2. Public worship of God or a religious service in such a building: to attend church regularly.
3. The whole body of Christian believers; Christendom.
4. Any division of this body professing the same creed and acknowledging the same ecclesiastical authority; a Christian denomination: the Methodist Church.
5. That part of the whole Christian body, or of a particular denomination, belonging to the same city, country, nation, etc.

Now, the definition of the word that “Church” is translated from.
Ecclesia
1. To summon forth
2. Ones called out
3. to call

So, every time that you see the word Church in the Bible it is translated from this word, Ecclesia. But now just look at the difference in definition between these two words. In the Church definition the closest one to reality is number 3, “the whole body of Christian believers” because who are the summoned? They are the believers, the body. “Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you” 2nd Cor 6:17. But, still the overall English definition of the word Church isn't really close at all to it's original meaning.

Some might say that the word Ecclesia has as it's foundation a meaning of gathering together for a singular purpose because it comes from the the assembly of citizens of the ancient Greek state. This is true, in it's meaning is not simply a summoning or calling, it is a summoning and a calling to a gathering. So using this logic you could say that Church is a gathering of believers and thus it is an accurate use of the word.

However, I don't believe that the call or the summons in the Biblical context is to go to a building on Sunday, the calling and the summons is for us to come to HIM.  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 And again “And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” John 12:32 and again  "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day." John 6:44 and again “Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you” 2nd Cor 6:17. and again “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” It is a recurring theme throughout, a call, a summons to Himself. He is calling, He is drawing, He is knocking. These are just different ways to say he is summoning us. Summoning us where? To a denomination? To a building? To a service on Sunday? No, He is summoning us out of the world system and to Himself. The word Ecclesia is calling us and summoning us to a gathering, but not in the way you might think. He is summoning us to be gathered into himself. When we are truly the Ecclesia of Jesus, the summoned forth, the called out ones of Jesus then the assembling together of the believers happens automatically, it is not something that needs to be scripted or formated, it is just our normal life. Sometimes we might need to scheduled a meeting of believers but that is not the Ecclesia, that is simply a larger assembly, but no more or less important.

As for the statistics I posted on my last post of how statistically the Church has become totally indistinguishable from the rest of the world, that is from real research and real hard statistics gathered from the Barna research group.

No comments:

Post a Comment